Losing Sleep Over Plagiocephaly

When Mila was 2 months old I noticed a flat spot on the right back side of her head. As any mother would, I freaked. I also Googled. A lot. Turns out she has a condition called plagiocephaly. Babies heads are really soft, and with the “back to sleep” campaign they spend a lot of time on their backs. With that can come flat spots, and asymmetric head shapes. I read that if found early it can be corrected by repositioning the baby to keep them off the flat area. Well, fast forward 5 months and her head is still flat despite all my efforts. Luckily though, it’s just the back of her head… she doesn’t have any facial asymmetry.

Regardless, I feel like a terrible Mom for not noticing it sooner. For not rotating her head more. I feel like it’s all my fault. I wish I could just rewind to when she was born and start all over again.

So what can we do now? Well, we’ve talked to her pediatrician about it and he’s told us not to worry. He said there are studies that show that by the age of 2 the asymmetry typically resolves itself, but if we wanted we could consider a helmet which speeds up the process.

From there, I decided I wanted to see a specialist. We first took her to a neurosurgeon. He immediately told us she didn’t need a helmet. But instead he told us to prop her on her side when she slept. I was relieved for a bit knowing she didn’t “need” a helmet, but after trying and failing to prop her on her side, I got depressed again.

We then decided to take her straight to the source… Hanger Clinic, which specializes in cranial helmets and other orthopedics. My goal for her evaluation was to get measurements. Well, we got them. 10mm. That is how asymmetrical her head is, which is in the high mild / low moderate category. The orthotist said she would benefit from a helmet, but he’s seen much worse.

So at this point it’s up to us. Do we get her a helmet, or do we take our chances on it working itself out on its own? I keep going back and forth, and I hate it. HATE. I’m losing sleep over it, and I’m just so sick and tired of worrying.

Insurance won’t cover the cost because they consider it cosmetic. Really? REALLY? How depressing and EXPENSIVE. The cost will be worth it though. For peace of mind. For my daughter. For no regrets.

Our follow up appointment is in 2 weeks. We will make our final decision then, but I think we’re going to do it.

Wish us luck, and peace of mind.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s